Saturday, November 05, 2005

The Existence of God: Intro Post


This is the Intro post to a series of posts I will be doing on the existence of God. The subject has always been interesting to me since I was saved out of atheism close to 5 years ago (I’ll be sharing the my testimony somewhere in the series).
So why do a series on the existence of God?
1) It interests me.
2) To hopefully help believers realize we have good reasons to believe what we believe. I actually had a Christian friend,who has walked with the Lord much longer than me, ask me how we know that God is real. She obviously did not doubt God’s existence but was not sure how to explain her beliefs to others. The first thing I said is well you know him personally and have a relationship with him, then I went into some of the philosophical arguments. I think Christians sometime forget they actually know God. I think our real,living, interactional relationship with God is the best starting place to approach the subject and then go into the other arguments; because the existence of God is not a philosophical position but the reality of a person whom we interact with daily. God is a person not a philosophical conclusion. Though philosophical arguments can be a good tool to show the rationality of belief in God to those who do not know him;as well as confirm to Christians what we know to be true.
3)To show non theists that belief in God is very rational and actually makes much more sense than atheism.
As a side note I do know and understand that the best theistic arguments will not make someone into a theist. This is because belief in God is primarily a spiritual issue not a philosophical or intellectual problem. Most people believe what they want to believe without logical reasons to do so, this is especially true with spiritual matters. Until God gives us the ability to discern spiritual things we will not be able to understand anything spiritual even if it was as simple as 2+2 (Rom 3:11, 1 Cor 2:14).

Now I want to lay some ground rules for future discussion. I understand that my audience is probably 98% Christian but I welcome discussion from any non-theists; in order to keep the discussion fruitful I lay down these grounds rules:
1) Stick to the particular topic of the post.(For example: If we are discussing the ontological argument do not talk about problems with the transcendental argument.)
2) Be logical. Avoid logical fallacies. Make your points logically,l for example P+P=C (premise plus premise gives me this conclusion), not I do not like the Cosmological argument so it is wrong.
3) Have philosophical and intellectual integrity and honesty.
4) Be respectful to other bloggers and the person you are addressing.
I also will submit to my own rules. If a comment breaks these rules I will delete it.

The next post I will in the series will be my thoughts on Ps 19 and Romans 1 addressing what arguments are valid for Christians to use based on what scripture says on how God has revealed himself. It should be noted that I will not be making an argument for the existence for God; I will not be saying we know God exists because God’s word says so. It instead will be showing Christians arguments are consistent with what God revealed about himself to the world.

The posts that follow the next one will be arguments for the existence of God concluding with the testimony of my conversion from atheism to Christianity. I am looking forward to starting the series I hope it will also be of some benefit to others as well.

10 Comments:

At 7:01 AM, Blogger Aaron S said...

Shameless plug:

http://www.theopedia.com/Arguments_for_the_existence_of_God

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger Dave said...

Johnny Bronco... I am particularly looking forfward to your thougths on Rom 1. I believe Romans 1 teaches that there is no such thing as a genuine atheist. There are certainly those who suppress the truth that they have received - but we all have been created with an innate understanding that God exists.

By the way, before you getinto this series. Are we going to hear anymore about your Reformation Day celebration??

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger John said...

Dave,

I already planned in advance to link your famous first post as reference in the post I will do on Romans 1.

Concerning Reformation Day as soon as I get the photos more will posted on that. I used a freind's camera and I beleive he is is the process of developing those. The post on Reformation day will probably interupt the series. I also have another post in mind that will probably interupt the series as well. Anyway Grace to you.
-John

 
At 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will do my best to defend the 2%

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger John said...

theagnostic,

I very much do welcome your participation but please do not be anynomous. That was not a rule that but a major pet peeve and I also want discussion with people and not nameless people out in cyberspace. I also have seen things go bad on other blogs when people remain anynomous. Thanks.
-John

 
At 10:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm here with ya, theagnostic. We can each take 1%, sound fair? ;)

 
At 4:58 AM, Blogger Joe said...

Besides...it's your blog. You can do a series on anything you want.

Aren't you glad you have my permission?

I am looking forward to it.

 
At 8:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Johnny~

Dude, what an amazing series to start around the holidays! I love it! And yes it is true, people should not be ashamed of there beliefs so much that they remain anonymous. To do so is hiding and to hide from others is to hide from oneself.
Just my take. Looking forward to more. And remember, no "P" on "P"!!! Thorny

 
At 6:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

John! The masses grow restless!

And just for fun, I'd like to point out that the person above wasn't anonymous. [S]He is "theagnostic". That's a handle that references whomever it is just as much as any "name" does--it's still a partially meaningful distinction.

For example, look at my name. Although it is my actual name, none of you (except John, who knows me) can reference it to anyone in particular. Thus, my name is just as informative as "theagnostic," it's just that no one can identify the latter with any individual.

 
At 7:22 AM, Blogger John said...

Ryan and to any other restless waiter..Unfornately it will probably be a week or 2 before I post any argument for God. This is the last week for me before exams. I have next week off (for thanksgiving) then I can start more regularily blogging. Although I do intend to post the Refomation Day pics as soon as Sunday. Then the Post on what arguments a Christian should used based on God's revelation soon after which will probably a short exposition of Ps 19 and Rom 1.
Back to the comment Ryan because I know who are and can contact is what makes you not anynmous. There is some accountablity there. But not when I have no way of knowing who theagnostic is. I don't want to make a big deal of it but realizing this topic has the potential to get heated it would better not let people remain anymous so they can't say outlandish things with out accountablity. It also helps make sure that this not just a debate with people not locked into their sides without really considering the agruments.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home