Wednesday, August 31, 2005

A Puritan's Personal Purpose Statement and Yours


One of the things that is relatively new yet widespread is organizations adopting purpose statements. They are everywhere from your fast food restaurant to your multinational cooperation to your local church (oddly enough certain studies have shown churches with purpose statements are often healthy then those without.) It seems like you can not get away from the ever popular purpose statement. I myself having written a couple purpose statements for organizations because that is often the starting point for the rest of a strategic plan.. But why are they such a big deal? Maybe this simple definition I got in my Strategic Planning class will help: Purpose statements explain why an organization exists. For example, this restaurant exists to serve customers and make a profit or this church exist to glorify God, etc. This is why purpose statements are so powerful they are the articulation of something’s reason for being. Knowing this obviously gives one the great advantage of giving something its direction and clarity on what an organization is supposed to do. This is why its no wonder why when an organization decides to organize or structure itself it will go about it by putting its purpose into words and then arrange everything around its defined purpose. This can be a powerful thing.

One of the things I have been wondering is what if people gave themselves’ purpose statements. What it look like? Would it have the same power for people as it does for organizations? As I was reading through A Quest For Godliness by J.I. Packer for my Spiritual Disciplines class I caught a glimpse of what a person’s purpose statement may look like as I read on page 61 some things that Richard Baxter wanted to commit his life to are: " First , to speak the impenitent, uncovered sinners, who are not yet so much as purposing to turn…And with these, I thought, a wakening persuasive was a more necessary means…My next work must be for those that have some purposes to turn, and are about the work, to direct them for a thorough and true conversion, that they miscarry not in the birth. The third must be directions for the younger and weaker sort of Christians, that they maybe established, built up, and persevere. The fourth part, directions for lapsed and backsliding Christians, for their safe recovery. Besides this, there is intended some short persuasions and directions against some special errors of the times against some common killing sins. Ad for directions to doubting, troubled consciences , this is done already. And the last part is intended more especially for families, as such, directing the several relations in their duties." What laudable goals for a person to have! I paraphrased and summarized what he said his mission was, in this way: 1) To reach the uncoverted. 2) To bring nominal Christians to true conversion. 3) To build up the younger and weaker brothers. 4) To help backslidden Christians safely return. 5) Confront and correct errors of the time.6) To direct families in relational duties. I would call this John Baxter’s personal purpose statement. These were the reason he existed and fulfilling his calling for the glory of drove him which led to a time of great revival in England.

Here is my question what is your personal purpose statement. How would you explain your existence? How would actively knowing the reason for your being change your life. I want to challenge you to articulate your own personal purpose statement for life. Then let that challenge you to change the way you live knowing what you are here for. This how my personal purpose statement would read: "John Babri exist to be a servant of Jesus Christ to the glory of God to call those who do know Jesus to come to know him in a personal way and to call those to who claim to know Christ live transformed Christ exalting lives". Imagine now if I live my life according to my purpose statement and calling. Would I be like the great Richard Baxter? I know have my purpose articulated will help me keep in perspective the reason I am here and rightly forces me to do what I am created to do.

What is your personal purpose statement? What is the reason you exist? Is it to make as much money and have as much fun as you can before you die? Or is your purpose something more. Let me help a little as you write your own personal purpose statement. Your purpose is now so you can gain stuff, have as much fun as you want, or to make money. Your purpose is for Christ. If you think your purpose is for something else you can know you are wrong Col 1:16 says this about why you are here :.. all things were created through him and for him..the him being Christ, all including you, Romans 8:28 has this to say about you :29For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. You are the to be conformed to the image of Jesus. 1 Cor 6:19 says this about you: You are not your own.. This is a good starting point for drafting your purpose statement know you exist for Christ to be conformed to image of Christ and you are not your own and have no rights to yourself but belong to Christ. How does knowing this should then influence you and the way you live? What does this scream that the direction of your life should be based on your purpose. Also, know that if your personal purpose does not have anything to do with Christ or place him as supreme and central its wrong.

How would you articulate the reason for your existence? What is your purpose and how does you change the way you live to fit your reason for living. What is your life’s purpose statement?

3 Comments:

At 9:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Mr. Babri, I've discovered your blog.

Wouldn't it be more noble to make a statement along the lines of "living in harmony with oneself and one's fellow man"? This would of course sacrifice some of the strict orthodoxy involved in your statement (which is probably why I like it). In exchange, it fixes several shortcomings--as I perceive them, of course.

1) I don't think one's personal meaning in life should be dependent upon the actions of others. Just my opinion, but if you fail to influence anyone in your whole life, has it been a worthless life?
2) You seem to lump everyone into two categories: the potentially saved and the saved that need to be reformed (Baxter looks to be the same with a few more categories). Anyone who does not choose to accept Christ is either unclassified or always forced into the "to be saved" category. Can one not legitmately accept that another may find a different idea of "truth" without injuring one's own purpose in life?

How would you treat someone who would not convert? Could you really respect their views if doing so voids your "personal purpose"?

The language just looks dangerous here. Baxter's "personal" statement is not PERSONAL at all. He's out to save the world, and he probably wouldn't notice if he were damning it in the process.

On a lighter note, good luck at the SBTS. It looks like you're enjoying yourself, and it should make for some interesting conversation.

 
At 4:19 AM, Blogger Joe said...

I went to read your interview. Good work! I especially liked the bar story.

Witnessing outside our "box" is really tough.

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger John said...

Ryan,

Glad you discovered my blog. Your comments made me smile. We had some good discussions back in our Philophy classes at Kent.

To answer your first question. My success in purpose is not dependent how on others respond. If I preach the Gospel and noone responds but I did everything I could to make known to people the Gospel then I am not a failure. My goal is to be faithful to God. If people respond that is a work of God not my own doing. My "sucess" in my purpose is whether I am being faithful to what God has called me to do and is no way dependent on whether people respond or not. This analogy does not really fit but I am going to use it anyway I can lead a horse to water but I can not make it drink. I am happy if lead many horses to water even if they don't drink. Like I said the analogy does not really fit but I hope you get the idea.

To respond to your second statement my two catogories are not saved and potentially saved but saved and unsaved. What I want to do with the saved is encourage them to walk more seriously with their God. Again if other people do not find THE truth it in noway hurts my puporse in life. 2ndly just to blunt and honest there is only one truth. How can you say another "truth". You can have more than one truthes. (IE I am man. and Ryan Spak is a man) But you can not have more than than one TRUTH. For example I can logically and constistantly hold that I both believe in that there is a creater and there is not a creator at the same time. There is only one objective reality despite how many ways there are to view it. Truth by its nature is exclusive and means that you can coherently have more than one truth.

Just some other comments. I find your comment .."is not nobler to" very funny. What is your standard of nobilty or even goodness? For you test and see what is noble or good.

How do I treat someone who will not convert? Lovingly. My family is an example. They are not Christian but I still love them. I am to love both Christians and nonchristians. I am to even love my enemies. Can I respect people who are not Christians yes but I don't agree with them but it does not mean I treat them anyless of person.

I see no way how Baxter or people like him are daming the world. They are presenting the way not to be "damned"(I using your language, I would say seperated from God). You see the world is already "damned" (seperated from God)by their sin. Anything that goes against God's perfect holiness and righteousness. John 3:17 says how the world is already condemned. When someone shares the Gospel they are explaining how anyone who trust in Jesus Christ as their personal Savior and nolonger has that sepertion from God and now know God in a personal way. This is because Jesus took our sin on the cross. Meaning the punishment we deserve for our sin. If anyone turns to Jesus and beleives he took our sin away by dieing for us on the cross we then are nolonger seperated from God and can have eternal life. This is anything but damning! To use your termonlogy he and people like him want to "undamn" the whole world. Because his purpose is worldwide it does not make it anyless personal in that it is his goals.

Anyway Ryan if you are up for good reading I would direct to something by Plantinga called An Evolutionary Argument Against Naturalism it will go into greater detail of some of the things we talked about here. You can find this article on the web here:
http://hisdefense.org/articles/ap001.html

Ryan, I sincerely thank you for the good discussion! Anyway are you back at Kent State yet? I hope things are well for you. I hope Target is also treating you right. Have a goodone.
-John

 

Post a Comment

<< Home