Thursday, August 18, 2005

I am at SBTS!!!!!!!!!!!!


Greetings from Southern Baptist Theological Seminary!!!!I decided to do something different for today’s blog. I do not usually write about me but since my life has been full of changes I thought I would to keep you updated on my life. I might even make a monthly update a regular feature now that I gone. Never fear I am not going to this into a personal blog I'll keep putting down Biblical and theological stuff for the most part.

The biggest news is now at Southern Baptist Theological Seminary! I have been here for eight days now and I am loving it! I got to meet Al Mohler and shake his hand during orientation. Even though it was only a brief encounter it may have been the highlight of orientation for me.

In other news I was really impressed with the church I visited: 9th and O Baptist Church. That was definitely a blessing. The preaching was very expository and verse by verse on a difficult passage. It was 1 Cor 1:1-9 the introduction to Corinthians. The message was Christ centered and expository. The Sunday school was a blessing as well. It looks like they have real community in the Sunday school. Its even the home church of Russell Moore who teaches a Sunday school class there. I am going to have to check out a few other churches but 9th and O is looking pretty good.

I am loving my classes. I even enjoying doing my homework! Professors start out with prayer, they call you brother. This is far different then my post modern professors at Kent who wanted to disprove the Bible and not take Christians seriously. I am so blessed and thankful to be here at Southern. Not only that I also have some of the best professor in the nation. For example, I get to have Don Whitney as my teacher for spiritual disciplines class author of Spiritual Disciples for the Christian Life. I am also looking forward to my readings I get to read stuff like the Pilgrim’s Progress among other great books. The campus itself is beautiful. People are friendly. I also really enjoying spiritual conversations with people. Its been so refreshing just to talk to people who are excited about God and are sold out for him .

In other news God also provided me with a job! I will be working as a dishwasher at the Cheesecake Factory in a Mall in Louisville. It is a relief to know I have a job. God is so good!

Oh and since I’ve been doing a lot of name dropping I guess its time to tell you that I am in the lineage of people like John Calvin and Jonathan Edwards. In the first day of my Intro to Christian Philosophy class Dr. Parker past out our Educational Genealogy. This arrow <--- will represent was a student of. Ok here is my Educational Genealogy: John Babri <— Dr. James Parker <–Dr. Bruce Metzger <—Dr. John Mackay<– Dr. Benjamin B. Warfield <– Dr. Charles Hodge <– Dr. Archibald Alexander <– William Graham <– Dr. Samuel Stanhope Smith <– Dr. Jonathan Edwards Jr. <– Jonathan Edwards <– Solomon Stoddard <– Dr. Charles Chauncy <– Archbishop James Ussher <– Walter Travers <– Theodore Beza <– John Calvin
There you go the Evangelical Apostlistic line of ascension. From John Calvin to John Babri, pretty cool huh. It helps remind that are Christians are not isolated from other believers but are indebted to those who came before for us. Its also interesting to look at the line and seeing that way helps me realize how connected we are to the saints who came before us. So now any I teach will be in the line of Calvin and Edwards

To all my friends back home in Ohio as well as First Baptist know that even though I am in a "better place" now ( I never get tired of making that silly little joke) you still very dearly missed. Thanks also for your prayers, emails, letters and other ways you have shown your love. FBCA I am praying for you
Grace and peace to you.
God is so good!

7 Comments:

At 6:28 PM, Blogger Steve Weaver said...

Good blog! I saw you commented on my brother's blog. I've also seen you around in the blogsphere. Congratulations on being at Southern. There is no finer theological faculty in the world (in my humble opinion). Enjoy! BTW, I think one of my friends might be in Dr. Parker's class with you. Barak Tjader. He emailed me today a copy of his lineage back to Calvin! Look him up, he's a smart kid!

 
At 4:15 AM, Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

Joe sent me here, I am glad I came, will be back!!

Great post, especially about how we are indebted to those who have gone before us. We live in a world where Christianity gets so watered down, but Christians lived the Christian life to the point of death in the past. I am sure it is so wonderful to be surrounded by people who are excited about God!! Where I work that is not so, but I share and see His fingerprints wherever I go.

Have a wonderful day in the Lord!!

 
At 7:13 AM, Blogger Joe said...

God has always had His men. Have a great time at Southern.

 
At 6:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

John~
I'm so glad that you're here in Louisville now! It's great to have someone that I have journeyed with in the past a part of my life again. I'm glad that you are enjoying the classes and I'm sure it's a relief from classes in the past.
Remember that I am always here as your brother if and when you need something. We'll probably have you over this week sometime so email me or call to let me know what night works for you. Till then, my brother from a different mother...take 'er easy!!!

Thorny <><

 
At 8:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

John, I'm so glad to hear you're having such a good time at Southern!! I just read your educational lineage....way cool! I'm praying for you, John!

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Tony Kummer said...

John,
Welcome to Southern, I am part-time this semester so you likely won't see me around. You have to do Shepherding groups, Pick any prof it will be great. If you want we can meet sometime and have lunch. What courses are you taking?

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger John said...

Hey Tony I am taking Intro to New Testament with Dr. Cook, Ministry Formations/Spiritual Disiplines with Dr. Whiteny, Intro to Christian Philosophy,Elmentary Greek with Dr.Plummer and of course the Cooperative Program the 0 credit hour cours we all have to take. Lunch sounds good I'll send you an email.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home